I'm so excited to introduce you to a mini series that will be happening here during the month of August:
If you are anything like me, your life could use a little order. I've been jotting down ideas on organization for a while and am ready to share what I've learned. I've also asked some great bloggers to share their best organization tips. Together, we are hoping to help all of us conquer life's chaos. I'm so excited to be inspired by some organization experts this month. Let's get started!
I'm a list maker. Every night, I make a check list for myself for the next day. Color coded and rewritten a few times until it looks pretty and perfect. I thrive on crossing things off. I use a big, thick sharpie, and find nothing more satisfying. (I use a ruler with my Sharpie to draw a straight line through my to-dos. I know. It's a bit OCD, but it's true.)
Hannah's 6 To-Do Tips:
01. Keep your calendar close. Keep it up-to-date and check it first thing in the morning. We keep our calendar in a little walkway between our office and our kitchen. We walk by it constantly, so we always know what needs to be done and where we need to be.
02. First things first. It's so satisfying crossing things off a to-do list, so starting with the easier items is tempting. This is the cause of many unfinished to do list, though. If you finish your most time consuming/hard tasks first, somehow those easier, more enjoyable tasks will get done as well.
03. Make your free time meaningful. Remember when you get off task and waste time that you are stealing free-time from yourself. If you are going to take a break from your to-dos, do something that you love. (e.g. Taking a break to browse facebook vs. read a book vs. cuddling your kiddos. Know your priorities.)
04. Know your limits. I am one, like many people, who tends to take on too much. I have a hard time saying "no." I over-schedule and over-work myself, making it impossible to check everything off my to-do list. I end many days feeling badly because only 4 of 10 to-dos were accomplished. If you are like me, you need to set limits. Be honest with yourself and realize that you only do so much.
05. Organize your space. I am much more productive when my office is tidy. Clean up. Put the papers away. Dust and vacuum. Make sure everything you own has a place. (We will be discussing this in more depth through out the month. Stay tuned!)
06. Give yourself a break! Get outside and enjoy the sunshine. I try to do a no-to-do-list day twice a month. I live for lists, so these days are a bit daunting for me, but they always end up being just what I need. I am a lot less productive, but stepping away from a schedule every once in a while is freeing. A breath of fresh air. It also helps me recommit to productivity the next day.
Do you have an organization idea/storage solution/time management idea you'd like to share? I'd love to feature you on Sherbet Blossom! Email me at sherbetblossom (at) gmail (dot) com!
*Tune in tomorrow. My first guest blogger will be here and she has some wonderful things to share!
© 2015 Hannah C. All rights reserved.